Set Up Dynamic Variants
Create a Shopify automation with multiple options
Use this feature to display a wide range of product choices and get around Shopify's limitation on variations.
When building automations that sell on your funnel and fulfill on your Shopify store, sellers face a limitation: Shopify limits the number of variants to three. If you're selling a product with two or three variations (e.g. a coffee pot that comes in three sizes - small, medium, and large), the limitation is not a problem. But what if you're selling a product with two variables and lots of variations? For instance, you sell a super-cute baby t-shirt with three sizes (small, medium, and large) and three colors (pink, blue, and white). That color-size mix represents nine possible variations.
Funnelish has a solution. It's called dynamic variants.
It's a three-step process:
The first step is to create a form on your funnel step. This form will display a drop-down menu for one variant with multiple choices.
- 1.Open a funnel.
- 2.Open the step with your product.
- 3.Drag a Form element to the canvas.
- 4.On the side navigation, go to the Input type heading and click Select (creates a drop-down menu).
5. Scroll down to the Props heading.
6. Click the Data type field.
7. Select Custom on the drop-down menu.
Now add a Data name and placeholder text.
- 1.Toggle off the Show label? feature. (optional)
- 2.Click the Data name field and enter a unique name. This is for internal use. The customer does not see this text. In this example, we enter Color.
3. Enter placeholder text (e.g. user instructions). In this example, we enter Select a color.
Add placeholder text
Now add options to the drop-down menu.
- 1.Click the Options field.
- 2.Select Custom.
- 3.Click the Add option button.
- 4.Enter a name and value. In this example, we enter Black and Black.
- 5.Repeat steps to add more options.
Create drop-down menu with options
In the previous steps, we created one dynamic variant called Colour. Repeat the steps to add another variant. In this example, we add a variant called Size.
- Pro tip: To quickly recreate a form and its settings, hover the mouse on the form element and click the Clone icon.
The screenshot below shows the results.
A second dynamic variant
You can preview the drop-down menus.
- 1.Click Save changes.
- 2.Click Preview.
- The step displays in a new browser tab. Click each drop-down menu to review the options.
The next step is to customize the automation for the product and enable dynamic variations.
- 1.Open the funnel step with the product.
- 2.Click the product one time.
- 3.Scroll down and click the product automation.
4. On the Edit automation panel, click the Notes & dynamic variants button.
5. On the popup window, switch on the Enable dynamic variants? toggle.
6. Go back to the funnel step and copy the Data name of one variant.
7. Go back to the Edit automation window and paste the Data name into the Value field.
8. Enter a variant name. Shopify shows this name on the Order page.
- 1.Repeat steps to add more variants.
- 2.Click Done.
- 3.Click Save changes on this panel and the next panel.
Add multiple dynamic variants
Now you can test the fields and see how they display on the Shopify admin page.
- 1.Go to the funnel step and click Preview.
- 2.Select the product.
- 3.Choose an option for each variant. In this example, we select a Black and Large.
- 1.Go to your Shopify account.
- 2.Open the Orders page.
- 3.Open the order.
- Shopify shows the product and variants that were selected on the funnel page.
Priduct and variants